Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Update on Emmie's latest surgery and cancer diagnosis

Well, here we are again. It seems like we were in a very similar spot last year. I'll give you a rundown of the latest events in Emmie's medical journey and a look ahead.

We have been feeling pretty good about Emmie's medical health lately. She's off all BP meds, she's completely recovered from the major vascular surgery last November, her cancer scan in July was clear, all was looking great! 

Late August, we met with the neurosurgeon who will do Emmie's first back surgery, the tether cord snip. He wanted an updated MRI of her spine. The MRI showed a spot on her spleen that looked suspicious. So, oncology looked at it, as well as a few other doctors. They wanted another image study on the spleen, so on Sept 15th, she had an MRI of her abdomen and brain (for other reasons which I'll get to later). The new imaging of her spleen showed the spot had already grown a centimeter in a month. This rapid growth pushed the oncology team to act quickly. So, on Sept 25th, Emmie's spleen was removed. The spot was a tumor and it was another Wilms Tumor. The same cancer she had last winter.

So, now we will put back surgery on hold again, and we will yet again conquer this ugly thing known as cancer. Unfortunately there is no getting out of chemo this time. So, this week we will meet with Emmie's oncology team to answer any questions she has, or we have. Next week Emmie will get a port placed in her chest, and the following week she will start getting chemo for a Wilms Tumor.

There is no other way to put it.... Cancer Sucks!!!
I hate this ugly disease. It has taken so many people from my life, and now I have to watch my baby girl endure something no one should have to do, but especially not a child. Emmie is such a fighter though. She inspires me every day. She is stronger than most adults, and she will persevere through this battle. She will come out on top, and she will beat cancer! She is my super hero! When she said she wanted to be wonder woman for Halloween, I thought, wow how perfect! She really is a wonder!

There are still so many pieces to this puzzle. The doctors are still discussing neurofibromatosis. We have gone through some genitic testing, which came back negative. We have had a pathology report from MOTTS that came back positive. We have had a pathology report from Riley come back negative. So, the MRI of her brain was to look for signs of it in her brain. They did find one neurofibroma in her brain (at least that's what they think it is) but they did not find the other markings they were looking for. So the saga continues.

One thing is for sure. Emmie is unique. She is not a cut and dry case. Even with the tumor on her spleen, the doctors are baffled by it. They have never seen a Wilms Tumor on the spleen before. They can't find it in any of the medical journals. The urologist told us that he has removed hundreds of spleens, but never for a tumor! This girl is going in medical journals for all kinds of things! 

I am constantly reminded of this passage when I look at Emmie! 
             Psalms 139:13-16 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven togeher in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.

Please continue to pray for us and Emmie. Your thoughts, prayers and words of encouragement keep us going during this long and sometimes difficult road.

Thank you!!! Tracy (Emmie's mom)

1 comment:

  1. Praying for that precious little girl. May she be found free of all cancer and live to be a very old lady. Prayers for all the family for courage, faith, peace and hope.

    ReplyDelete