Tuesday, October 17, 2017

A momma's perspective on Day 1 of chemo

Here's this momma's perspective on day one of chemo.

Arrival @6:15am. I slept very little last night. I was tired and for the first time feeling really stressed about what I was about to put my daughter through. Right before they took her, we went potty. I tried to convince Emmie to run for the exit with me!! She said "no mommy, we'll get in trouble." Wow! Who is this rule follower?!?!?!

She came through the port placement surgery like a rock star! Came out of anesthesia doing great! Spunky! Asking for crackers and water! She knows the drill! She was in a little pain from the port, but over all doing great. 

It was at this moment that I suddenly hit my wall. I'm not sure what did it for me, but I had this overwhelming flood of emotions, like someone opened the floodgate and I couldn't hold it back anymore. I had to leave the room. I try not to ever break down in front of Em. I spent a good 20 minutes pacing the hallway outside of surgery in tears, but I collected myself and returned to my little super hero who was ready to get discharged. 

We worked our way up to the oncology/infusion area with the help of Tiffany, a really great RN coordinator! She sat with us and went through an overwhelming amount of information. She was seriously the sweetest, nicest person ever! 

Emmie's infusion started at 12:12pm it was done by 1:00pm. They had already given Em her first bag of chemo drugs without her really even noticing! She was seriously amazing today! 

We left at 1:15pm. Emmie wanted chicken nuggets and a milk shake. We stopped and got food, were home around 2:15. Emmie started playing like nothing had happened to her today. In fact, she was mad that we wouldn't let her go run around outside?!?! What?!?!

The stress leading up to day one has been overwhelming at times. I'm happy day one is over. I'm happy she handled it like a rock star! However, this is going to be a long road. It's a 28 week regimen. For the next 10 weeks, we get weekly infusions. After that she will get an infusion every three weeks until April 24th. It's going to be a long winter! I pray she continues to take all of this like the superhero she is!

A friend showed me this quote yesterday. I added it to our family photo. It fits Emmie so well!!! 

God is within her; she will not fall. Psalm 46:5

  


4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please be aware someone is using this site for gain. Check worldofwarcraft forums. Or contact me for any help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the author of this site Tom Brooks thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I am Tom Brooks and I am the author of this site. tyvm

    ReplyDelete